Due to high demand for tickets, the Minnesota Orchestra will open their rehearsal to the public. Both the rehearsal and the final performance will take place on Friday, 10 August 2018 at the Cape Town City Hall. The two hour rehearsal will take place from 2pm, and the final performance will take place from 8pm. To book, visit: http://qkt.io/innesotactrehearse.
The Minnesota Orchestra is the first professional American orchestra to tour South Africa, and the tour forms part of the Minnesota Orchestra Opens Historic Cape Town Rehearsal to the Public official Nelson Mandela Centenary celebrations.
Included in the performance is a specially commissioned composition by South African composer Bongani Ndodana-Breen. Other locals performing with the Orchestra include soprano Goitsemang Oniccah Lehobye, mezzo Minette du Toit-Pearce, tenor Siyabonga Maqungo and bass-baritone Njabulo Madlala as well as the Cape Town Philharmonic Youth Orchestra.
The composition for Mandela, Harmonia Ubuntu was first performed in Minnesota on Mandela day 18 July. It will next be performed at the Royal Albert Hall, from where the Orchestra will make their way to South Africa.
For more information, visit www.minnesotaorchestra.org/satour
South African Concerts:
- Friday, August 10, 2018, 8 p.m. / City Hall, Cape Town
- Sunday, August 12, 2018, 5 p.m. / City Hall, Durban
- Thursday, August 16, 2018, 7:30 p.m./Aula Theatre, University of Pretoria, Pretoria
- Friday, August 17, 7 p.m. / Regina Mundi Roman Catholic Church, Soweto
- Saturday, August 18, 3 p.m. / City Hall, Johannesburg